Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Could Have SHAT A Brick!!

This is a potentially long story (but what isn't with me??), but I will try to keep it under wraps..

Due to Direct Loans and the Navy both fucking up and taking their damn sweet ass time, my loan may not get repaid by the Navy..

Let me explain..
Within 90 days after enlisting, I have to turn my Loan Repayment Packet(LRP.. Or something close to that) into the Navy to *request* that they pay my college loan off. It's an application packet that has to be filled out JUST SO. Any errors in it can either set me back or cause my loan repayment request to be denied. No one is guaranteed that they will automatically get their loans repaid. You have to apply for that perk. Ugh.

But guess what? I am in serious danger of not being within that 90 day time limit. I'm not exactly sure if it's 90 days after I enlisted or 90 days before I ship. Either way, my ass is in some sick limbo. I have been going back and forth with Direct Loans (the company that gave me my student loans) and the Navy for over a month about this shit. Really, I have been dealing with this crap since I joined back in January. This shouldn't have been the case. Both parties dropped the ball and here I am left getting ass fucked without so much as a kiss on the lips.

So when I came into the recruiting office this past Tuesday, my recruiters said that my situation is SO fucked up that they suggest that IF I don't get my loans paid off with the Navy's LRP, that I need to DROP OUT THE DAMN NAVY AND REENLIST TO BUY MYSELF MORE TIME TO GET MY LRP APPLICATION RESUBMITTED AND APPROVED. This situation is called "Trite." To trite is to be discharged from the Navy. I would be eligible to reenlist a month later and virtually start all over again. 5 months into my 8 month wait, they want me to drop out and start all over again?!

My heart stopped. I wanted to break down and cry.
WHAT?!?

After ALL I have been through they want me to drop out the Navy and "try again" to get my loans paid off?! This shouldn't be! If everyone was on their shit and acted as if their jobs actually depended on them doing their job, I would have not fallen through the cracks! But here I am, hoping and praying that my LRP gets accepted/approved and I am not suck with $20,000 in debt..

You know, initially I wanted to join the Navy regardless. It wasn't about being an officer, it was about being a NAVY officer and then about being IN the Navy. Period. But twenty-fuckin-thousand dollars puts a lot into perspective, ya know?! I didn't get a signing bonus. The economy is so bad they aren't giving those out anymore. But I was okay with that because I was getting all my loans paid off.. Or so I thought..

But what do I have now? Look at me. I am 23 year old college graduate who joined the Navy with no signing bonus and now there is a strong possibility that I may not even get my loans paid off.
What else is there for me? I sacrificed so much for this. I knew I wanted to join the military two years ago so I didn't get an internship in my field. I didn't get a career in graphic design because I thought I would be leaving here soon enough to "start my new life in the Navy..." I even didn't have a child because I wanted to be a sailor. The world was waiting on me, so I thought. I couldn't be a mother. Not yet..

But here I am.. Almost screwed and weighing my options..
What am I going to do now?

Well, I could trite and reenlist. Or I could join the Army as an officer. At least they would take care of me, right? Or I could stay in the Navy regardless and pay my loans off month by month the old fashioned way.. But WHY do that when THE NAVY SHOULD BE PAYING IT OFF?!? Uuuuuggggghhhhh!! Shit like this makes my ass itch and my head hurt:(

I'll keep you guys posted but something has got to give. Pray for me, yall!


~Sailor Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment