Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Just Lettin' My Soul Glow

Early December of last year, towards the end of my last semester in college, I finally chopped all my hair off. I'd been flirting with the idea for months, if not years, but never did. I would always continued to embrace my hair and let it grow. But then I got so busy and so damn tired of spending 30 to 45 minutes styling it every morning that I couldn't take it any more. So I Photoshoped my face on Solange's head with her new hair cut so I could be sure I would look fabulous with short hair. And in that Photoshoped picture I did:-D And I still do. I was right in thinking that if I looked good with my hair pulled back I would look equally good, if not better, with it shaved off. Thank God I have a symmetrical head as well lol.

Another reason for me cutting my hair was that I would have to rid myself of my natural curls anyway when I went to boot camp. There was no way around that. There was no way I could make cornrows last at least 9 weeks without any kind of hair product. Not in Chicago's harsh, windy winter and the chlorine that comes with swimming(it is Navy boot camp after all!). No. My head would have looked a mess and I wasn't about to let those barbers touch my hair in boot camp. They do not aim to please. Not at all.

But now that I have had a shaved head for about two months now I am getting a bit restless as I always do. Even as I type this, I have a plastic bag on my head, deep conditioning my half inch of hair because I colored it today.

Yep, I just couldn't leave it alone. So now its a funky copper color, a bit lighter than the mid-brown color I wanted. But oh well. I'm still going to rock it. And it looks nice, it just wasn't what I wanted and I've seen SO many Black women with this exact same hair color. *Le sigh.* Guess I'll have to work extra hard to stand out now:(

But I just don't know what I want to do with my hair! I know I want to grow it out to at least an inch so I can get invisible braids in a few weeks. But then what? I have about 6 months until I have to ship out to boot camp and I have no idea how long my hair will be by then. I may let it grow out(I'm still researching the "proper" way of growing out such short hair), but if it's too long, or "protrudes" too far out from my head, then the Navy will make me cut it. So a possibility will be me cutting my hair again before I leave. But having a shaved head in fall in Chicago is not where it's at for me. I'm a Southern Belle, yall! I gets cold easily:(

So, in the meantime, I am letting my short curls grow. I have no idea what I will do next(obviously), but I love to change things up. So we'll see! Toodles:)

~*Pie*

No comments:

Post a Comment